of the Springlake Campus
The Thrills of Yesterday...
The Skills for Tomorrow
The Metro Technology
Centers Springlake Campus is located at the site of what used
to be an Oklahoma City landmark - Springlake Amusement Park. This
historic fun park was opened in 1922 and for more than 60 years
generations of Oklahomans looked to Springlake as the ideal spot
for entertainment, dancing and breathtaking rides, such as the
legendary "Big Dipper" roller coaster.
The amusement park
was plagued with numerous fires over its many years of operation.
In 1981, after yet another devastating fire, Springlake Amusement
Park was closed. But, one bright note still remains in the final
chapter of Springlake's history. The passing of the old park has
made it possible for future generations to build the skills that
will bring more lasting happiness and security than all the cotton
candy, thrilling rides and concerts the world could hope to hold.
Information About the Springlake Amusement Park
Much of the information
in the following pages comes from personal accounts and private
photograph collections. Many of the details of the park and its
operation are still a mystery to us. If you have photos or Information
about the park that you would like to contribute to this collection
please contact us.
Did You Know..?
- The Big Dipper roller
coaster was built in 1929 by the Toboggan Company in Lansdale,
- Two ballrooms once
existed at the park, one of which was called the Fairlyland
Ballroom. This ballroom, which was later known as the Casino
Ballroom, became the penny arcade in 1940. It could hold as
many as 2,000 patrons at one time.
- In the 1950's, a
new amphitheater was added to Springlake. The Beach Boys, Roy
Acuff, Johnny Cash, the New Christy Minstrels, Minnie Pearl,
The Righteous Brothers, and Conway Twitty were among the many
big stars to have played at the amphitheater. It has even been
said that Elvis performed there as well.
- On June 28, 1982,
Vo-Tech District #22 purchased the 95-acre park for $1.1 million.
- On May 11, 1983,
the demolition of the defunct park began. The sky ride was sold
to Lincoln Park and the train was boxed up and shipped to Lima
Peru. Some of the steel in the fun house and in the bumper car
buildings was given to a church to construct a new building.
All the original light poles were saved and still exist on the
campus today. The Big Dipper, was dismantled for the lumber
by a couple of men who lived near Hot Springs Ark. These men
were very nearly killed when the big hill collapsed on them
as they were removing timbers. They survived by taking shelter
in the shed immediately under the hill which housed the electric
motor and chain drive.
- The two lakes on
the property were drained in 1985 and after some reconstruction,
were stocked by the the state with bass, catfish and bluegill.
Because the southwest end of the sky ride base near the lake
edge was so big and costly to remove, waterfalls were designed
and built to cover the protruding base.